The longest night of my life…

If you’ve had the time to read my previous post, you would’ve read about my wife being pregnant and that she was diagnosed with placenta previa. This is a rare condition that very few pregnant women get. It basically means that her placenta is blocking the canal that allows the baby to be born normally. This also means that she will experience bleeding during the pregnancy. Not a very pleasant experience believe me.

This is our third child. With my son and daughter previously, my wife had no complications and was able to give natural birth to both of them. But this time around the doctor told us that the chances of my wife giving natural birth was zero. I never realised how serious her condition was until I asked the doctor one day, “So how would we know when it’s time for the baby to come out” I’ll never forget his reply: “Your wife will start bleeding, and it won’t stop. That’s how you’ll know it’s time” His words hit me like a ton of bricks. Not only was there a risk of my son being born prematurely, but my wife’s wellbeing was at risk as well.

Everything was going good with her pregnancy until last night. Whenever my wife goes to the bathroom and she calls me I know something is off, and boy was it. She told me that the bleeding has started again and it doesn’t look good. My first reaction was that we would get everything ready and head off to hospital like we have the previous 5 times this happened. Our normal routine is for my wife to have a quick shower and me to get her bag ready at the same time. But this time was different.  This time, the bleeding didn’t stop. At first I thought maybe it would be best to dispatch an ambulance but, quickly realised that this wasn’t going to happen. Realising the urgency of the situation, I immediately got my wife dressed as best as we could, got her into the car, and sped off to hospital. Most men can’t wait for this day, the day that they have an excuse to push the button with the little red triangle on the dashboard of their car, and drive like theres no tomorrow, like a life depended on it, which it did in my case. I hit the highway like a bat out of hell, hazards flashing, and focussing on the traffic ahead. 10 minutes later I stopped in front of the hospital doors, ran inside, got a wheelchair and rushed my wife off to the maternity ward.

I tried my best to keep my cool, especially when dealing with a nurse that has the mentality of a fucking garden snail. As you can expect there was no urgency until that nurse got a glimpse of the amount of blood on my wife. I demanded that our doctor be phoned to come out to hospital as this wasn’t a false alarm, this was it. It couldn’t have been more than 5 minutes after we got there that we heard the sound of footsteps swiftly approaching the ward where we were in. In pops the doctor like he was sent from the heavens. The first thing they normally do when pregnant women get admitted to hospital is check for the baby’s heartbeat. This is done with a machine that has these 2 flat round rubber pods that get tied to your belly. These pickup the babies heartbeat which is then amplified through a loud speaker on the side of the machine. A truly beautiful sound, the sound of your babies heartbeat. Only this time around, the machine displayed a question mark and there was no sign of a heartbeat. As a parent this isn’t something that you ever want to experience. The second the doctor saw this he ordered the nurses to prepare my wife for surgery as they baby needed to come out Now!

She was prepped for surgery and minutes later wheeled off to theatre with me following anxiously. Once we got to theatre the nurse lead me to a room similar to the dressing rooms at a gym. Only the shelves were filled with navy blue scrubs. I quickly fished out a shirt and pants that fitted good enough. Just before I left, the doctor came in to also get dressed and kindly asked me not to go into theatre until they’ve managed to get baby out and see to my wife. He also mentioned that things might turn out for the worst and they wouldn’t be able to deal with me as well. I didn’t quite understand why I wasn’t allowed but respected the doctors wishes and assumed that they were afraid that I would be a distraction if the worst happened. Nonetheless I was standing right outside the door and could partially see inside. Pacing up and down, nerves shattered. I know they’ve already started cutting but I’m not hearing a babies cry. I think I stopped breathing for more than a minute, frozen where I was standing, wanting to be there for my wife to hold her hand and tell her that everything was going to be ok. Neither of us knew what they outcome was going to be, whether we’d be holding our newborn son and welcoming him into this world, or saying goodbye to a limp little body.

What felt like an eternity took less than 10 minutes. I could hear the doctor ordering the nurse to bring me in. I wasn’t going to wait for her to come out and immediately rushed inside. When I came into the theatre I heard my son cry out, it was an abnormally soft moan but it was something. That tiny little sound instantly pulled all the weight of the world off my shoulders. I didn’t know if I should laugh or cry. I was overtaken by emotions and relief. Soon my wife was sewn up and on her road to recovery. Our baby boy is still recovering in hospital but is doing better every day.

What a story this is going to make one day when he’s old enough for me to tell it to him. I know this has been one very long post and thank everyone that takes the time to share this experience with me.

6 thoughts on “The longest night of my life…

    1. Anton

      It’s these things in life that makes us stronger as human beings. Life is about good and bad..without bad things we will not realise what is good


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *